Advanced Legislative Process
This course is designed to assist participants in identifying, analyzing, and following legislation at the various stages in the legislative process.
It provides an in-depth, detailed understanding of legislative procedure and strategy for individuals who already have a good working knowledge of the basics of Congress and the legislative process.
This two-day course will help participants better understand:
- Legislative drafting and the bill referral process
- Committee hearings, markups, and reports
- Current floor procedures used in the House and Senate
- The role of the Rules Committee in the House
- Reconciling House-Senate differences
- Understanding Legislative Documents
Individuals who have a need for a more detailed knowledge of legislative processes, including drafting, the bill referral process, House and Senate committee practices and floor procedures.
Participants should have a firm grasp of contemporary congressional organization and procedures before enrolling in this course. For those who do not, we highly recommend taking one of the Government Affairs Institute’s core courses before taking this course.
Meets Executive Core Qualifications 1 and 5.
June 26 – 27, 2019
October 28 – 29, 2019
Next Course: June 26 - 27, 2019