Working and Communicating More Effectively with Congress
This course is designed to provide federal officials with a comprehensive understanding of how to work more effectively with congressional staff. The 2-day workshop focuses on the various components of communicating with staff, educating staff, and responding to congressional correspondence, as well as on the specific skills needed to be most effective in this environment.
Topics may include:
- An overview of the legislative environment
- A review of roles and responsibilities of congressional staff
- Writing the one-pager
- Guidance on briefing congressional staff
- The special case of appropriators
- Congressional correspondence
This course also includes hands-on workshops on:
- Writing and presenting the one-pager
- How to brief appropriators
- Writing congressional correspondence
Individuals who interact with congressional staff in writing or in person, or who prepare or assist in the preparation of correspondence or other communication with Congress.
Meets Executive Core Qualifications 1 and 5.
November 6 – 7, 2019
March 11 – 12, 2020
June 17 – 18, 2020
Next Course: November 6 - 7, 2019